Vanillin

About two days ago I helped a student out with a research project for another class. They repaid my assistance a day later by leaving a candy bar attached to a thank you note on the corner of my desk. The wrapper had a quasi-italian name written in gold foil letters on the side, with a little slogan on the bottom that boasted hundreds of years of family tradition. It was a unexpected cool gesture, and one that I truly appreciated - except for one little thing.

        ...The candy bar is made entirely of white chocolate.

How is it that something supposedly so decadent, so highclass, and unique can be so... utterly weird and unappealing?

And don't you dare look at me like I'm from outer space -- the shit tastes like chalk that's been dipped in butter, and you bloody well know it. You want to experience the fineries of white chocolate without having to pay the cost? Run over to your local Krispy Kreme and ask them if you can lick the floor for a while. It's pretty much the same thing.

But the thing is, I haven't had a single thing to eat all day. I got through the morning with coffee, but I'm at the point now where I'm pretty much ready to chew off my own arm for some nourishment.

And all day long it's been there -- staring back at me. This photonegative sugar rush, this albino hershey bar... calling to me with it's promises of sweetness and energy. I'm the man sinking in the water, and this Perugina is a hand reaching down to pull me into a life raft.

But man...

       there's no WAY I'm eating that thing.