The Endorsement

So the other night I'm hanging out at the club with bartender Christina, having a great time as always when the conversation takes an unexpected turn and she tells me what you said to her the night before.

And although it certainly felt good to hear, it caught me totally off guard
Maybe because she was looking me dead in the eye,
but more perhaps because of what it actually was
I still don't know quite what to make of it, I guess because I didn't really believe that was the way you felt. And there again comes the strangeness because it seems like what I really should be concerned with is Christina's reaction -- but here I am still focusing on the other side

If I did have a tumor, I would name it Marla.

I don't know -- It's like I know that I need to let go of things, I know that I need to take my hands off the wheel for a while and accept the fact that I can't control or fix everything that goes on in my life -- but I can't seem to ever fully get there when so many things still seem so conflicted and unsettled.
Marla, the little scratch on the roof of your mouth
that would heal if only you would stop tonguing it

...but you can't.
[Listening to: VNV Nation, "Arena"]

Comments