Gravity's Arrow

I grew up in Longmont, Colorado -- a small town just outside of Boulder. I remember it being a beautiful place with this huge mountain off in the horizon that looked more like a painting done on a light blue canvas than anything real or true. I don't remember the cold. To be honest, I don't remember that much of it at all (we left for Florida when I was 4). There are specific recollections here and there; playing in our basement, going out to eat with my dad and my little brother at the A&W drive-in, and watching planes take off and land at the little municipal airport -- things like that.

I remember eating homemade peanut butter. I remember having this really cool pedal car big-wheel type things with a gearshift on it. I also have a vague memory about going to some frontier circus show where a trapeze girl missed the catch and fell screaming to the ground.

One minute she was graceful and free, and the next everyone was standing up in horror.
I have no idea if she was hurt or not.
There was a little black dog, a scottish terrier we called "Willie". I had this old green toybox with wheels that my parents would put me inside of and then strap the dog to. There are pictures of him pulling me around the neighborhood like some chariot from Ben Hur.

A year or so later I accidentally ran over his tail with my tricycle, putting a permanent kink in it. The dog was still sorta nice to me for years afterward, but that break in his tail never really healed-- and I don't think he ever forgot who it was who did that to him.

People can change. But I sometimes wonder if relationships can.
I still don't have that answer yet
And I worry that I'm running
out of time to figure it out.
[Listening to: The Postal Service, "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight"]

Comments