Heretic

The other day I was in the lunchroom, picking at some less-than-thrilling microwave Chinese food when one of the other teachers sitting near me smiled and asked,
"So, did you see what happened on The Office last week?"
To which I casually replied, "What's that?"
I might as well have killed a puppy right there on the table.
The entire room seemed to miss a beat. Conversations quickly resumed without me, as someone nearby quickly piped in with their own feelings about the show, but I had clearly stepped on a nerve.
This always happens to me.
There used to be team meetings back when I was at Alltel that would consist of like five minutes of people looking at me saying "How could anybody not love Seinfeld?".

And it's not really that I didn't enjoy the show. It's not like I probably wouldn't get a kick out of The Office if I watched it. It's just that I'm not really one to re-route my entire life around a block of Thursday TV just for the sake of having something to talk about whenever I'm in a room with other people.

It's like there's some fatal flaw in my caucasian genetic makeup that keeps me from fully understanding the true significance of the words "Must See TV." Even last night, after the incident in the teacher's lounge I still had no desire to find out what all the fuss was over. Prime time found me sprawled out on the couch watching a DVD collection of this old cheesy anime series called The Devil Lady until a dear friend called on the phone all excited saying, "Oh man, you've got to check out this horrible Zombie movie on Sci-Fi with me! (this being the same friend that I once stayed on the phone with all night so we could share the experience of watching Half-Ton Man together)"

I mean, come on -- a guy who can't get out of bed, can't even leave his own house without having a wall removed because he weighs 1000 plus pounds -- and he's a smoker!?
That's entertainment!
[Listening to: Jason Forrest, "War Photographer"]

Comments