Cowboy

Clearly I'm going about this whole thing wrong.
See, I've always believed that while it's human to make mistakes, it's important to do your best to downplay (or even conceal) them while trying to land a job. That your resume should do it's best to illustrate your strengths and qualifications, or at least show prospective employers the kinds of qualities about yourself that will help benefit their company's goals in the future.

Meanwhile, embattled NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens made news recently when he showed up late for a recent practice with the Dallas Cowboys because (as he put it) he overslept.

One of the leagues most infamous bad boys, Owens has had problems in the past for ignoring dress codes, publically criticizing his bosses and coworkers, and falling asleep in meetings.
Which when you think about it are all things that I do.
Except that in TO's case, his boss is backing him up on the whole thing.

I mean sure, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did fine Owens $9,500 for the incident -- but when you consider the fact that TO is set to make close to ten million dollars this season, the consequences seem pretty light compared to what might happen to you or me if something similar happened at one of our jobs.

All of which has gotten me thinking that I need to consider a new approach to job hunting.

It never really dawned upon me until recently, but I think the reason my at-work shenanigans seem bother so many of my employers is that they aren't expecting it. That somehow during the interviewing process I'd given people the impression that if they should choose to hire me, I wouldn't make those kinds of mistakes.

And yet half a world away Terrell Owens all but boasts about his misgivings as a coworker and teammate only to be coveted around the league as one of the most valuable free agents on the market this offseason.

So with all that in mind I'm going to spend the next few days re-tooling my resume an cover letter so that they reflect my true skills as an employee. What's more - I'm hiring an agent to represent me in all future negotiations, regardless of where they might be.
"If you want my client flipping your burgers, you better ease up
with all these paper hat-wearing rules, because we ain't havin' it!"
[Listening to: Tears for Fears, "Head Over Heels"]

Comments