Raggedy Man

I swear, sometimes I am such a guy.
The truck ran out of gas again.
It's times like this when I'm glad no one else is actually there in the vehicle with me, because there's really no escaping the ridicule you're in for when something like this happens. Of course, I still caught it on the phone from J a little later anyways
"What's that noise.. where are you?"
"I'm walking down Hendricks avenue. I um.. the truck ran out of gas."
(laughing) "How did that happen?"
"You know, it just sorta sputtered and died."
"I mean, how could you let that happen -- don't you look at the gas gauge?"
"Of course I do -- it was on E"
"Well what did you think that meant?"
"..Extra 5 miles?"
I don't know -- since I actually ran out of gas there's really no way to spin this where I sound like the intelligent one, but you've gotta understand where I was coming from here.

I drive an old pickup truck. It has two gas tanks on it, but it only gets like 14 miles to the gallon, so even when it's full you're not guaranteed a hell of a lot of distance. Still, like every dude everywhere there have been plenty of times where I've driven it on E and gotten away with it. It's like some retarded badge of honor thing -- I know that E doesn't really mean E (even though in this case it actually, you know.. did).
E means I can go for a certain amount of time more before it's actually empty.
And that's where I was at -- driving on that mystical 'extra couple of miles' that I utterly believe I have whenever the gas gauge tells me I don't. In fact (and this is actually the ultimate indignity) the truck sputtered and died just as I was pulling into the gas station. I was actually able to coast it to a stop right next to the pump.
In other words,
I was right.
Despite what some souless mechanical gauge wants to think, I knew what my truck could do in that situation. I had total faith that I could make it to that BP station before the engine gave up the ghost, and that faith was vindicated right then and there.
What I didn't know was that the gas station had closed 20 minutes before I got there.
To make matters worse, I had sunk all that faith in my ability to get to that particular BP, which would have been killer had it been open, because it happens to be the only gas station for miles in that area -- a fact that became painfully clear once I started the long walk down of shame down the road.

Unfortunately, this is really where my whole dude faith thing falters. Because no matter how many times the empty gas tank gods smile on you and let you make it to the gas station before the engine cuts out, nobody seems to recognize it for the miracle that it truly is.

On the other hand, when find yourself walking down the street with an empty gas can
Everyone knows you're an idiot
[Listening to: Five Bolt Main, "Seem to be Fine"]

Comments