Oatmeal


Routine is the trap.

One of the most frustrating challenges of adulthood is finding a way to make things work regularly. Financially, emotionally, logistically -- if you want to avoid major stresses or financial problems or whatever it seems like a smart idea to identify and adhere to some sort of "system" that enables your day to happen.

Wake up at this time. Do these things to get ready for the day. Leave the house by this time to avoid traffic. Dig through your emails when you first get in to make sure nothing's an emergency. Tackle projects in order of due date and difficulty. Take breaks and try to get up and stretch your legs during the day. Try to leave by this time in order to avoid traffic. Get dinner done before a certain time so there's extra time for homework help. Get to bed by this time so you can at least to try to get enough sleep. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Hard routines for the weekdays, general guidelines for the weekends.

Especially with kids, if you can get into a rhythm, it helps make things easier. Keep things too loose and it becomes a fight just to get them motivated.  But the simple fact is that there's a razor's edge between a working routine and a getting into a rut. To get into a place where you feel like the days are just burning by and all you're really doing is finding a way to get through them.

Sometimes that's good. Maybe you're recovering from a health problem, or you're trying to fix a problem. Kids grades are slipping -- make time for more homework help and make sure he gets enough sleep. Fewer video games and TV.

Structure. Process. Discipline.

I don't know if this is just me, or a function of the fact that my kid is old enough that a lot of the routines we've worked to build he's fairly ingrained with -- but lately I find myself with a lot of nights where I think to myself, "I could be doing a lot more with my time."

If I didn't have to do this, I could dedicate more time to that. 

And it's not that I lament the time put in parenting. Not at all. My son is the reason for everything.

But I want balance.

I have ambitions. I have desires.I really want to play music on stages again. I'm super happy that I'm writing again, but finding/making time for it has proven challenging.

At the beginning of the year when I went back to work after the holidays, things were kinda dead. Work hadn't quite kicked back in yet -- so I found myself with lots of free time. I had room to scrub off the rust, work through drafts.

But by the middle of last week, my schedule had filled back up. Deadlines were stacked again. Expecting this to happen, I had resolved to start writing at night so that I wouldn't lose the momentum I had gotten going. But then I'd fight traffic to go home, make dinner, help with homework and junk, and then try to get a little time winding down before getting everybody to bed so we could wake up and get out the door on time, and the next thing you know -- time to write seemed scant.

If I didn't already have a new idea to work through, finding one seemed like just one more thing to do in a week that felt overfilled already.

But then I saw a conversation crop up on Twitter between movie directors James Gunn and Joe Carnahan. A fan had asked Gunn about how he deals with writer's block and Gunn had a blunt, yet perfect response.


Of course, if you've looked you can tell that I haven't updated the blog in a few days. Work got busy, and even though I had wanted to do my writing at night, the last week I'd just come home tired.

I'd hit all the big milestones in my routine with dinner, homework, and bedtimes. The laundry got folded and the dishes got done -- but especially after my health issues last year, when I get tired anymore it really hits me hard.

If I oversleep, the whole routine gets scattered. Kid gets to school late, maybe even dozes off in class. Can't have that.

Something's gotta take the hit.

I mean, it's not like I'm honor-bound to update this site every single day. But at the same time missing one day easily turns into missing two -- then work gets busy, and then it's been a week, and then the next thing you know we're right back in a drought and I don't think about at all until the next big holiday break when I'm bored at work and get the itch to fill the day with writing again.

Routines have to be flexible.

Every time I've tried to dive into a diet or whatever to lose weight, one of the things that always ends up killing it for me is the lack of variety of the foods. On the one hand, I need to break bad habits, so it only makes sense to bring oatmeal to work instead of grabbing a donut or whatever on the way in.

Those daily stops were killing me, but as anyone knows you get a few weeks in on eating only oatmeal, or salad, or whatever -- and you'd pretty much kill for a fucking donut.

And while passing those challenges is what makes or breaks any diet or effort at self-improvement, they're also in my experience what tends to kill it.

Let's say eating this mush helps me drop 20 pounds. Does that mean I can finally stop eating it?

I think we both know that answer is no.

I don't know -- maybe this middle-aged corporate job divorced dad existence and the routines that I've developed around it to keep it going smoothly are simply antithetical to the spontaneity and second life as a gigging musician that I really crave. Maybe there isn't enough room or energy in my day anymore to balance all of this stuff like I used to.

But I still want there to be. It's not like I've lost the spark, or forgotten the desire.

I'm just feeling a little stuck in the trap right now -- and I need to find a way out.



[Now Playing:  KNOWER "The Government Knows" ]

Comments

Bảng hiệu quảng cáo là thứ luôn đi kèm cho sự xuất hiện của một quán café, quán trà sữa, shop quần áo, một công ty, một nhà hàng… Vì vậy nó từ lâu đã trở nên phổ biến và có thể xem như là không thể thiếu được. Đối với mỗi khách hàng bảng hiệu quảng cáo là thứ mang tính chất thông báo những thông tin cần thiết, còn đối với chủ nhân bảng hiệu thì đây không chỉ mang tính chất thông báo mà còn là một chiến lược marketing mà họ hướng tới. Bảng hiệu quảng cáo bắt mắt, thiết kế đẹp, độc đáo sẽ thu hút được sự chú ý của tất cả mọi người. Vì vậy mà ngày nay ai nấy đều cực kì chú trọng vào từng chi tiết của bảng hiệu quảng.
làm bảng hiệu mica giá rẻ
làm bảng quảng cáo
lam bang hieu
thi cong bang hieu
lam bang hieu quang cao
Không còn đơn điệu như bảng hiệu quảng cáo ngày xưa, bảng hiệu ngày nay cực kì đa dạng cả về kích thước lẫn hình dáng, màu sắc, ngay cả chất liệu cũng đa dạng không kém, có thể kể đến như là bảng hiệu alu, bảng hiệu mica, bảng hiệu hiflex, bảng hiệu hộp đèn,bảng hiệu đèn led… Mỗi chất liệu của bảng hiệu đều có ưu điểm và nhược điểm riêng, giá cả cũng vì thế mà có sự chênh lệch. Tùy thuộc vào từng nhu cầu và tình hình tài chính mà mỗi người sẽ chọn cho mình loại bảng hiệu phù hợp, tuy nhiên nếu không phải chuyên môn của bạn thì chắc chắn sẽ rất khó để biết được nên hay không nên chọn bảng hiệu quảng cáo nào
làm bảng hiệu hcm
làm bảng hiệu công ty hcm
làm bảng hiệu tphcm
làm bảng hiệu ở hcm
Để biết được nên sử dụng bảng hiệu quảng cáo chất liệu nào, màu sắc, kích thước nào phù hợp với nhu cầu của bạn, hãy liên hệ với công ty Quảng cáo Đại Phát chúng tôi để được tư vấn lựa chọn tốt nhất. Đội ngũ tư vấn của chúng tôi sẽ tận tình tư vấn, giải đáp mọi thắc mắc của bạn để giúp bạn chọn ra được thiết kế mà bạn ưng ý nhất. Chúng tôi còn có đội ngũ thi công chuyên ngiệp, thao tác nhanh nhẹn, năng động, sáng tạo giúp bạn hoàn thiện bảng hiệu quảng cáo trong thời gian nhanh nhất.
Còn băn khoăn gì nữa mà không liên hệ với công ty Quảng cáo Đại Phát để chúng tôi có thể giúp bạn ngay bây giờ.

QUẢNG CÁO ĐẠI PHÁT
SĐT: 0935 79 00 28
Website: thietkethicongdaiphat.com