Hanging with Mike O’Leary.. no, the other one

For a while at school we had two Mike O'Leary's. One of them was a complete nutbar, and the other one.. well he wasn't exactly Elvis either, but I used to hang out with him sometimes before classes and after school.

To give you a timeframe reference, Mike O’Leary and I went to the movies and saw Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins together. The quote of the night from that particular outing was someone in the theater whispering,

     "You know, I don’t think that Chiun guy is really Asian at all.."

One of the things that made hanging with Mike fun was the fact that he had a computer. This was back in the day, and not many people did.

O’Leary had himself this Commodore 64 setup with a cassette tape drive. We literally spent hours on the thing playing games like Castle Wolfenstein and an Indiana Jones ripoff that I think was called "Aztec" (or something like that..)

            Did I mention that we were losers?

Anyways, the other game we spent a lot of time playing was a computerized version of "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy," based off the novel by Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker’s Guide was one of those text-based games that asked you for direction, and then reacted to your prompts by telling you that it didn’t understand the words you were using.

     >Where am I?
     You’re in the bedroom.
     >Where are you?
     I don’t know the word "you"
     >Don’t you take that tone with me, buddy
     I don’t know the word "that"


            Silly as it sounds, this sort of
            thing used to entertain us for hours on end.


     Wanna Play?