Emerson Purring

I'm at a table in a crowded shopping center, chewing on an ice cube from the drink that came along with my lunch. Something about the way the sunlight flows in through the windows; something about this warm feeling in my belly...

     My thoughts drift to you

It's after midnight and everyone is long asleep. The moon hangs high over the front yard, leaving just enough light for us to see each other in.

The little moments. The unspoken words. The sounds. Your eyes.

These are the things I miss…

     Do you see that kitten chasing so prettily her own tail?

It's not that you're gone. There was never any way it could have lasted forever. Even in all of my overplayed devotions, that much was always clear. Even if I didn’t want it to be true, I always knew there would come a day when you would be nothing more than a memory.

It’s the suddenness of your exit that left me with this wanting.

     If you could look with her eyes, you might see her surrounded

Was it only chance that brought our paths together?
Could it be the same chance that took you away?

     with hundreds of figures performing complex dramas,
     with tragic and comic issues, long conversations,
     many characters, many ups and downs of fate...


Everyone says move on. Everyone hints that there needs to be someone new. In the end, acceptance will be a matter of seasons passing rather than any decision on my part. But at night alone I find myself wondering where you are. Where you went.

     Wondering if you miss me, too.


     
-- and meantime it is only puss and her tail...