The Creeping Crud

That's what she used to call it.

It's that soggy, death-like feeling that creeps up from your throat and punches a hole somewhere in your sinus cavity that you simply cannot plug. Everything you eat tastes like it's been dipped in fiberglass resin, and you're secretly sure that the air conditioner vent above your head that's been pouring ice-cold freon down your back all day is somehow following you around wherever you go.

But instead of going there, she'd just smile and say it was "the crud."

She used to call me "The Luft of Her Life," too. I don't really think she ever meant anything by it, (although sometimes it's nice to wonder). All the same, I never really had the chance to tell her how much that could make me smile.

Something she was always trying to tell me. Something about finding a different way to look at the world.

Last time I talked to her, she was doing really well. She'd found someone who made her really happy, someone who wanted nothing more than to give her everything she always wanted. It was good to see her like that, especially after some of the rough times she'd been through.

So go ahead, ask me how I'm doing.

    I've got the crud.