I Like to Hide Behind My Glasses

Last night I trekked out to the beach to see Fishbone play a set at the Freebird Cafe. Absolutely incredible show. From the moment they opened with "Party at Ground Zero" until the closing notes of the encore version of "Swim," Angelo and the boys just flat out tore the place up.

I've said before that the Freebird is too a small place to get much going on the floor without causing a problem. But as soon as they started playing, a group of about 10 or 15 of us did our best to make it happen anyways -- jumping around and slamming like crazy boys. The band is claiming that this is their 'farewell tour' (although I'm optimistic enough not to believe it), so even though it was a paltry pit at best - I felt honored to be roaming the circle with them at least one last time. Either way it was the most fun I've had at a show in ages.

     Hopefully one day soon I'll be up on a stage making a crowd go nuts like that.

On the way home I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some Gatorade in a vain effort to regain some energy. I had just spent the better part of three hours slam dancing in a cramped space, so it wasn't all that surprising when the guy behind the counter started looking at me like I had a really large insect on my shoulder or something. You know that sort of cringing look people sometimes give you, like you've done something horribly wrong just by going out in public after a certain hour?

Finally, as he handed over my change, he said, "You look like hell, what have you been doing?"

I smiled at him and replied,

    "Skankin' To The Beat, Pa. ...skankin' to the beat."