Hey Ma and Pa, What the Hell is Wrong With Y’all?

There’s this point somewhere each day where it catches up to me. Early in the morning when I’m trying to make it look good, late in the day when I’m documenting how it went. Somewhere during my school day, when the feet stop pumping at the pedals and the bike is coasting down the hill, this little voice comes to me and says…

          “God, you really suck at this…”

It’s little things, little flakes of paint in the corners that don’t quite cover up the construction below. It’s a life’s worth of not wanting to plan too far ahead suddenly catching up with me. Time management nightmares, energy level spikes, and paperwork that just doesn’t want to stop coming.

When I’m in front of the class it sorta sounds like music, but when you look at the notes on the paper it all looks like gibberish.

… And tonight, I get to meet the parents.

          Hello dad, I'm in jail!
          Hi dad, I'm calling you from jail!
          Hi dad, happy birthday, I'm in jail!
          Jail, jail... hi dad


Handshakes and hearty smiles. Reassurances and Overviews. Answering questions about how little Johnny is doing this year, even though I’m still not one hundred percent sure which one little Johnny is yet.

My parents always skipped out on open house night.
“They never tell you anything worth hearing,” they’d use to say.

          All those years, I'm in jail now
          I'm in jail, I like it here
          It's nice, I like it!
          Hello dad, I'm in jail
          Hello, hello dad, Hi, I'm in jail!
          Say hi to mom…. from jail!!


It’s that point. It’s that place. You’re up against it. It’s not easy. There isn’t another way around. You have to get it right. You want to run. You just want to run, run, run, and never look back.

“Hello, my name is Mr. Luft. I’m your child’s Language Arts Teacher.”
“Hello, I'm Mr. Luft. I’m glad you all took the time to come out tonight.”
“My name is Mr. Luft. We’re doing some interesting things in class this year.”

“…Hey, I'm Dan. Your frigging kids are driving me crazy.”

          I'm in jail, I'm gonna stay here
          I like it here
          I like it, yeah, throw away the key!
          I'm in jail
          Hello dad, I'm in jail
          Jail, jail, jail, jail!


                - Was Not Was, “Dad I’m in Jail”