Monsieur Lutra

10:00 on a Saturday night. Everyone's tired. Everyone's asleep.

...Everyone but me.

     God, I hate weekends.

Too many nights I find myself pacing this room all edgy, tense, and pent-up. I want out. I want out of here. I've got a jones for live music and a belly that's hungry for overpriced drinks and stupid conversations. I don't have to be at work tomorrow. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow.

It doesn't matter that I've only got ten bucks to my name and nowhere to go. It doesn't matter that I'd be my own designated driver. It doesn't matter that I'd be my own date.

     ...10:00 on a Saturday night.

I've got half a mind to get a bottle of anything and a glazed donut to go, you know? Snag myself a fifth of something dark and bring it back here. Twist the cap, turn on the late-night reruns, and do a shot every time Red Foxx calls Lamont a dummy. Every time Chuck Norris spinkicks someone in a cowboy hat. Every time Will Ferell sings hip hop.

    Give me a porthole to swim through.
    Come with me to the dinner party.
    Even if I discover that I don't belong in these clothes
    Isn't it better to try and find out firsthand?


Maybe there's something wrong with me. Maybe I should just take the hint and call it a night when everyone else around here does. I'm 31 years old -- maybe it's just time to accept it and hang up the skates. But man, I'm so awake right now. So hungry for anything other than these four walls and 6 fuzzy networks.

But I can't. I mean.. What if something happens? What if someone wakes up? My place is here. I need to be here. Here at 10:00 on a Saturday night.

              ... Fuck it, I'm going out.