Costello

Different faces, different confusions, and yet all I feel is defensive. Like the offering of advice or ideas somehow gets me into a corner, wondering how the hell I got here. It's frustrating to be wrong, it's frustrating to feel like you're not being given the benefit for the effort you try to put forth. If I didn't care, I wouldn't tell you how I feel. If I didn't care, I wouldn't try to help.

    Maybe my help sucks, but I am offering my hand to pull you up.

But it's more than that -- it's like there are ants in the sugar bowl, and picking them out one by one isn't enough to avoid throwing out the whole batch. All of this misunderstanding and tension makes me more the ogre than I ever should be. I mean, maybe I lean too heavily, but connections mean a lot to me. How is it that evertything seems to be tied together with spider web and mist?

     When did my fuse become so friggin short?

Even after all this time, there are still things we have to learn about each other. Or maybe it's that some issues are always in flux, and I just don't keep up as well as I used to.

Mountains and molehills. Misunderstandings and impasses. Lately it feels like everything is bridges to be crossed, paths to be chosen. Like if I give the wrong answer for my favorite color I'll be tossed into the gorge of eternal peril.

*sigh*

I'm not always right. I know that. But friendships and relationships aren't always about right or wrong. They're about being there for each other.

      sometimes I'm so carefree
      With a joy that's hard to hide
      Other times it seems that all I have to do is worry
      And then I know you're bound to see my other side

      I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
      Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.