My Dark Secret

Sometimes these kids, they just catch me off guard.

Case in point: every day I get a free period, mainly for lesson planning or grading or whatever I need to do. Since I can't really take a lunch hour at this gig, I'll sometimes use this planning period to run quick errands or whatever. It's no big deal, and it actually provides a nice recharge to my day.

The thing is, this break comes during the second class period for my students. Second period is their electives, so a lot of the kids try to get me to let them stay and "help out" (grade papers, do bulletin boards, whatever) so they can skip class. Sometimes an extra set of grading hands keeps me on top of things, so once in a while I'm cool with it. But then (of course) you get the reputation as the "skip guy" and pretty soon everyone is knocking on your door.

So anyway, my planning period rolls around today, and I start packing up to head out. There are a couple of things I need to pick up for the house, and I know I'm not going to have any time this afternoon. No problem, I think -- I've got this free hour, I'll just go get it now. But just as I'm pulling on my jacket, one of my kids walks in and says,

     "Hey, can I stay in here with you 2nd period?"
     "Can't today, I'm heading out to do some stuff."
     He looks at me for a second and then says, "What kind of stuff?"
     Shrugging, I answer "You know, pick up some groceries, run errands... stuff"

Then he looks at me for a second, waves his hand dismissively, and says

           "Man, Mr. Luft -- that's ghetto."