I Don't Live Today

I've got a Jimi Hendrix song stuck in my head. It's not like that's a bad thing, but it sort of just came to me out of the blue.

    I can't really think of the last time I heard this track, but there it is.

It's the kind of thing that happens to me a lot. Kinda like musical daydreams, where songs sort of find their way into the back of my mind. It's a different thing than hearing something on the radio in the car or on the phone while you were waiting for an operator to pick up and having that tune get stuck in your head.

This is more like.. the DJ in my subconscious digging through the stacks and putting on just the right tune to fit my mood. It's like that jones that makes people want to hear classical music every now and then instead of what they normally listen to. It's the kind of thing that keeps the blues alive.

Sometimes it's just in you, and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's one of those early Hendrix tracks - one of the ones he took from the Delta, plugged in to an amp and turned into something completley his own. It's one of those songs he always seemed to play live, the ones that end up on the compilation CD's. The phrasing is sometimes different performance to performance, but the energy, the heart of the thing is always there.

...I like this song.

But I'm not sure where it came from. I'm not really sure why this track is the one thats in the player right now. I get a feeling like my subconscious is trying to tell me something, trying to paint in a color that I will recognize, or speak words that I haven't been able to hear yet.

It's been a really long day. My energy has been just kinda ...off. It's like my patience has been way too thin, my temper way too quick to show itself. What's worse, it's one of those sunny Florida days where you can smell the seabreeeze every time you step outside. It's been one of those days where the ID badge hanging around my neck feels like some kind of yoke.

    It's nobody's fault.. but I desperatley don't want to be here right now.