Sloane Peterson

I had this whole plan of things to do yesterday. This list of items that I could check off and look upon afterwards with my most convincing Stephen Covey grin and know that in accomplishing these goals and sharpening my own saw, I gave myself the freedom to do the things I really wanted to do. Anyone seeing that look on my face would instantly understand my mastery of each of the 7 habits -- so much so that they would take a moment to jot it down in the margin of their own dayminders and look back on it whenever their own personal sense of organization and order was threatened by the twists and turns of this unpredictable and unplanned world.

         I only got two things done.
         ...maybe three


Things happen. Rain falls. My day off changed completely almost as quickly as I had come up with my mental list of things to do. Instead of running all over town, I ended up spending time on the couch, watching movies, and laughing. The insurance bill still managed to get paid, and I found the time to get the missing turkey feather out to the daycare center, but all of my other hopeful advances were washed away in the foam of incoming waves as they pushed and then pulled back out to sea.

I don't regret a moment. And in the end, all of those put-off things could easily wait for later. But it's odd how my mind has been kinda folding it over today; the way things happen and the way things leave me feeling afterwards.

What's changed,
what needs to change,
and what may never change


                  It's an interesting stroke of color
                  across this otherwise paint-by-number canvas


[Listening to: Bearsuit, "Itsuko Got Married"]

Comments