Planet Schrodinger

"Curiosity did not kill the cat," reports John Olson in "Free Stream Velocity," his book of prose poems. "Boredom killed the cat." Let that be your rallying cry in 2005, Libra. In the coming months you will have a sacred duty to elude all situations that make your eyes glaze over. To meet your dates with destiny, you must not tolerate BLAH or HO-HUM in any form. "Curiosity was born with the universe," Olson reminds you. "It redeems and is erotic."
One of the things that I like about Brezny is the knack he sometimes has for hitting me over the head. It's not like his message ever changes all that much, but he has a unique resilliance for finding new ways to say it year after year. Sometimes it comes across as overdramatic, but perhaps every now and then clear advice needs to come in fancy wrapping paper, you know?

Still, it's not like he's offering any sort of earth-shattering relevations or anything. Even in his novel, "The Televisionary Oracle," (which reads sort of like an I Ching for anyone who wants to play in a politically cynical rock band and date lesbians) the underlying theme still remains to be one of self-empowerment and better living through fearlessness.

           It's so simple, it can't help but make sense.

And yet here I am, an irradiated cat; half-in and yet half-out of the bag.

This discovery is a journey that I have to take by myself. It's something that I can only do alone. But if this is going to work, then you've got to come with me. I don't mean that you have to discover it with me, because then it wouldn't be yours. What I mean is that if I'm to go -- If I am to finally and truly make this move, then I won't be in this same place when it's all over. I won't even be in the same place if I only just take that single, first step.

I know this is years overdue. I know that you ..used to believe that I was going somewhere, and that if you stayed close to me that you could move too. I know deep down, maybe in a place you don't know how to talk about anymore, that you resent me for not being able to start that car.

I'm sorry for that

But I'm going now. I'm trying everything I can think of. It doesn't matter anymore how I figured it out, what matters is that I did. What matters is that I want you to come with me, even if an army of Lucys, friends, relatives, and a half dozen voices in my head are suggesting that I can't have both.

Eventually, if I truly want this life to discover it's potential, I'll just have to go. Which is why I'm trying so desperatley hard to get your attention. To get you to notice me.

           To keep you from falling asleep on me, again.

[Listening to: The Faint, "Take Me to the Hospital"

Comments