Teenager of the Year

Last night reached this weird sort of point where offhand unanswered phone quotes and buried alive CSI's worked together to create this sort of weird darkness inside me that I really didn't feel like sitting alone and dealing with. So I pulled on a semi-clean pair of jeans, grabbed my keys, and headed south in search of cheap drinks, distractions, or whatever.

I ended up at this longstanding local dive bar sitting by a hospital. It was mostly empty -- but the drinks were cheap and the people seemed nice enough. A couple of people were throwing darts, the Supersonics were on the big screen, and if nothing else, it seemed a lot more welcoming at the time than the echoes off the walls from my apartment.

It wasn't anywhere close to heaven, but
it was good enough for a Thursday night.
About halfway through the third quarter, one of the three ladies sitting at this table across the floor from mine got up and programmed a bunch of obscure Frank Black songs into the CD jukebox that was leaning against the wall.

Either people didn't notice, or people didn't care.

Me, I felt like it was an odd kind of choice. Unique, unexpected, maybe even a possible topic for conversation if I'd felt any sort of real need to expouse my pointed and possibly biased opinions about Frank and his former band the Pixies (whom I adore) and the way they truly pussed out and let me down that one time at The Moon in Tallahassee.

...But I didn't.
Nor did I search for lessons or meanings in the motions. I just finished my beer, headed back outside, and drove back home.

Today's the last day of school.
      Today's the last day of school.
[Listening to: Supersuckers, "Pretty Fucked Up"]

Comments