Separate Zen

Why do they always give you two fortune cookies?

I mean, maybe if I'd ordered two entrees I could understand the fortune cookie kommisar assuming that two people are eating, which would clearly call out for dual-cookie action.
But it's just me.
Just another lonely dood calling for chinese food in the middle of the night.

Seeing two of them there of course called the easy reminder of all the other times when there needed to be two cookies there, when you'd play those silly games and put them behind your back and ask her to pick a hand, or you'd take turns standing up and reading them out loud in your best Tony-Curtis-as-Dr.-Lao accents.
She always asked me to
order food on the phone.
I never really knew why, but it was always important to her that I be the one to do it.

PENNY slowly opens the bathroom door
and looks at BUCKAROO as he speaks.


BUCKAROO: ..but that's all over now, and she's gone,
and that's about all there is for me to say about that

Last night I didn't want to go there. Last night I just wanted to eat my food and laze out. It hadn't been all that bad a day at all, really (certainly not like the one before). So I didn't open them. Didn't take the second to make any more of the connection. I mean, why bother going there at all?

But then the morning comes, the coffee brews, and staring back at me from the countertop while I wait are these two fortunes. Two wisdoms. Two sets of lucky numbers. Two Chances to LEARN CHINESE
Blue: Lan-se
Your own,
personal
...Confucius.

I was gonna make a joke when I started this. Something corny about two fortunes contradicting each other, or of a scene where I open one cookie and the note says "No, Read the Other One First."

..Something corny like that.

But here I am again. Taking it somewhere else. Not letting it go. Not getting the message that even a friggin' cookie seems to understand better than I do...
[Listening to: Living Colour, "Pocket of Tears"]

Comments