Rumspringa

A day and a night in, and there's already a sense that if I wanted to, I could actually survive in this place. It's been a whirlwind so far, mostly catching up with the tourist stuff -- Staten Island Ferry, walking the Brooklyn Bridge, wandering around the city, experiencing Times Square, catching a flick at the Ziegfeld, but at the same time the most memorable moments so far have been just soaking up the atmosphere, and letting the energy that seems to flow all around get inside me. The heat and humidity here has been oppressive, which I was kinda surprised by, but the people all around from my gracious host James to the guy I talked politics with on the subway and the army of beautiful women that apparently just walk around the city all day long have been 32 flavors of cool and then some, which has made this whole experience even better than I could have imagined it would be.

I don't know -- it's a lot to think about, a lot to just sink into and lose yourself in, and in the end I think that's what I really wanted the most. Just to shut off the reminders, take the fish out of the bowl, and start doing the crazy things I always said I was gonna do, but never actually got around to trying.
Today's the race in Central Park.
Tomorrow's MoMa and CBGB's.
But like I said, it's the simple things that surprise, and leave you with the smiles you'd never get from a tour bus or a guide. I suppose I could try to explain it to you, but I doubt it would make much sense..

Last night I stepped out on my own and bought beans at a bodega.
How cool is that?
[Listening to: Follow For Now, "Ms. Fortune"]

Comments