Speedy Grandmas Dynamite

Speedy Grandma. It's a shot. One part Red Bull with Grand Marnier floated over the top. It's one of those shots that tastes like gasoline at first and then develops a rich, butterscotch type of flavor once you've taken it down. It's good. It's expensive. It's effective.

You discover things with the people in your life and then associate those things with them. You have experiences with friends and somehow tag them with the items that stood out from those memories. For me, red wine has a face. Black licorice jelly beans are a person. Grolshlager, Dove Bars, Shinedown, Apple Jacks -- the list goes on and on.

I used to have one grandmother who always gave my brother and me a cookie when we visited. We called her "Grandma Cookie." We had another Grandmother who always had those old-lady mints in a glass bowl on her coffee table for us to munch on whenever we dropped by to see her.
..Grandma Candy.
Who knows, maybe it's just me. I always wonder where these habits come from. Why I find myself always looking to canonize the events and people in my life. Maybe it's something about flavors. About my pallette matching with someone else in just the right way, at a single, certain time.

Regardless of the cause, I like the way it leaves me with these little sense-memory triggers for people in my life. I like the way I can look at a certain moon, or hear a song by Sublime, the Talking Heads, or even John Cougar Melloncamp and find myself wearing an instant smile.

In a way, it gives me a way to have those times and friends with me whenever I want.
Even if it does taste like gasoline going down.
[Listening to: Breaking Benjamin, "Sugarcoat"]

Comments