Dai the Flu

Daughter of Phorcys, nymph among the Nereids. Cursed by Circe's scorn, only half changed. The monsters live below her waist, attack without her control, and keep her from ever going home again.

She lives on an outcropping, her only companion another monster similarly trapped on her own rocks across the channel. A monster that flooded her father's kingdom. An ungrateful child cursed and ruined by Zeus himself.
And if that's not bad enough, the bitch snores too.
Lately it feels like I'm living instant to instant. Emotional experience to emotional experience. There's a thrill to it. A feeling that comes from having to make each decision as it happens. An addictive feeling that an intensity junkie like me finds hard to resist.

But the thing about driving down the road this fast is that all too often you can see the roads you are supposed to take, but don't always have the time to make the turn.
And if that happens, what then?
You find yourself searching for offramps, unfolding maps before your steering wheel eyes, guessing at possible solutions. Trying to out-think the road. It gets you nowhere. It puts you in the middle of a South Carolina swamp, tearing through backroads looking for any roadsign shaped like the state of Georgia. Second-guessing. Hindsighting.
I always wondered what it takes
fifteen stitches and a soft parody
I'm doing things I probably shouldn't be doing. I'm considering things that may only lead to trouble. I'm putting things off and coming up with solutions that I think will work out just because that's the way it's happened before. It's a dangerous thing to sail these straits without knowing how close the rocks might be.

But when I ask Thetis for help, when I look to Circe herself to see which way to go, it seems like all they want to talk about is investment strategies or real estate deals.
Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions..
You need to know that sometimes I go with my instinct. You need to understand that sometimes even I'm not sure what I'm doing. Sometimes I wish I was, but more often than not I'm happy for the chance to hang my head out the window and follow the stars. To curl up against the rocks for a chance to make it home.
Even if I'm not sure where home really is.
[Listening to: The Faint, "Call Call"]

Comments