The Fruit Loop Meniscus

Late last night I grabbed a blanket from off the bed and brought it out to the couch - content after a full day to just kinda cocoon inside of it and let my mind drift away while watching Ghost in the Shell.

The only thing about it is that it's hard for me to ever get into that kind of TV watching mode without wanting something to eat or at least to pick at while I'm vegging out. And even though the consequences of it would come back to haunt me a morning later -- I found myself falling into some old familiar habits.

See, lazy makes you do weird things. For example - I love chowing down on cereal late at night, but I don't really want to put that much effort into it. Which is probably why I started this weird habit I have of drinking cereal out of coffee mugs.

Now before you start looking at me all weird, just think about it for a second. Think about the fact that this one simple modification turns the entire process into a one-handed, spoonless affair. There's an economy of motion involved, a cutback on the amount of dishes you have to wash afterwards, even automatic portion control as a result of the cup being smaller than the bowl.. it's brilliant!

The only problem is that you need a clean mug for it to work. Something a heavy coffee drinker like me can't always be counted on to have.

So you improvise. You flow. You invent. I mean sure I could just, oh I don't know.. use a bowl or something, but you have to understand how a guy's mind works. See, my whole plan here is based on the idea that my technique is better than a bowl. I've improved the whole process. Going back at this point would be a concession of defeat. Nevermind that I have a stack of clean bowls right there in the cabinet -- there's a principle at work here!
No, what I really need is a substitute mug.
These are the times when lazy people are truly frightening to watch. When you can actually see the wheels turning inside their heads. When they pick up a small pan that would normally be used to cook things on a stovetop and test it for weight and balance. Grown men scouring through their own kitchens like borg drones looking for extra arms to bolt onto themselves until at last they finally come across that one thing they've been searching for - that holy grail of laziness that enables them to complete their quest and return to Camelot the champion of the day.

Just like me, when I came across exactly what I needed
A measuring cup.
I can only imagine what I looked like sitting there in front of the television, literally pouring calories down my throat with the unique ability to measure (in standard and metric) just exactly how much of a slob I was being..
but I gotta tell you,
That was one kick-ass midnight snack.
[Listening to: Alana Davis, "Right There"]

Comments

JerseySjov said…
that's brilliant. i thought i was a champ for realizing that you could cook and eat using the same bowls and utensils most of the time.