Why Hello ..Grandpa?

When you read books and magazines about fitness one of the things they always tell you to do if you're looking to get results in a hurry is to find ways to shock your system. Like lifting weights that are just a bit above your comfort level, adding extra sets to your repetitions, or even running cross-country instead of just working with flat roads.
But I don't think they meant this.
There's this gym I've been trying to join recently. A local YMCA chapter, actually. It's kind of expensive, but I might be able to get a fairly good deal on membership if some of this paperwork they've been asking for checks out. But here's the thing -- this YMCA has been in this part of town forever. It's an old school gym with an old school locker room and whoa boy:
Lets just say that I've unintentionally discovered where
all the old naked white guys in Jacksonville hang out.
It's weird, because throughout the years of my school career I've always somehow managed to avoid the "naked locker room" side of things (PE at my high school was a joke), but I never really felt like I was, you know - missing out on anything because of it.

But here I am now getting to experience the um ...ambience of it all, except instead of learning to accept my own body image with that of my peers, I'm faced with hanging out in an enclosed space with a bunch of butt naked 70 year-old men. And if that's not bad enough, it's a really small locker room, so it's like they're everywhere all at once. I swear to god, I felt like Han Solo dodging asteroids in there.

The only good part of all this is that maybe I won't have to pay all that money to join this gym after all.
I mean let's face it..
My system is already shocked.
[Listening to: Mindless Self Indulgence, "Bitches"]

Comments