Santoku

It's a really weird time for me lately. The events of the past few weeks have been making me start thinking about just how valuable your time in this world really is, and yet if you look at it from the outside it seems like I'm right back in the same place I always end up in -- looking for a new job and wondering where the heck I'm going to be in a year.

The strangest part is that despite the fact that job hunting is never fun, despite this overwhelming sense of uncertainty that always seems to surrounds my immediate future, there's something really exciting to me about standing on this precipice.
What was it Jefferson said about how the world would be
a better place if there was a revolution every three years?
There are a number of things I still want to experience in my life, things I want to see if I can challenge myself to master. Some of these things (like rock and roll stardom) may be more out of reach than I want them to be (although I'll never really give up hope on it), but there are other avenues that in the past I've felt were too unrealistic, too expensive, and maybe even too intimidating for me to attempt without risking some sort of serious personal failure.
..Like culinary school.
I love to cook. I have for a long time. There's something seriously cool about the mix of craftsmanship, skill, and creativity it takes to be good at it. The way that it enables you to perform for people while still doing something that is satisfying for yourself.

At the same time, going to culinary school can be unbelievably expensive. And as much as it's something I've always wanted to do, I really don't have any kind of concrete perspective on it at all. By that I mean I could find a way to get there only to discover that I utterly hate it. I cook at home, but it's been ages since I've been part of a working kitchen environment. And even then, the kind of levels I'd be shooting for if I actually did go to cooking school wouldn't be anything like the places I've worked at in my time.

But the more I look into it, the more I feel like it's something I would really like to do. Something I would really like to get good at. Something I feel like I could really, really excel at given the opportunity.
Either way, I'll never know the truth if I don't try.
And I'm done being the one who always wanted to, but didn't.
[Listening to: Tool, "Jambi"]

Comments