Nerd Bliss

Ever since I upgraded my cel phone, I've been caught up in the midst of everyone's favorite modern pastime: Finding the right ringtone.

And while I like the fact that my phone now has the ability to play mp3 snippets of real songs whenever someone's trying to call me -- it's brought out an unfortunate side effect that people who know me closely can probably already guess.
I'm a music snob.
Not just in the songs that I like or in the endless multitude of reasons I can supply for the ones that I don't -- but also in how the music is put together, and the way that it sounds. You might think this sort of nitpicking would be annoying, but I promise that it's actually one of my more endearing qualities (unless of course you happen to be a fan of the Black Eyed Peas).

What it breaks down to is this. My old cel phone had a great ringtone on it -- "Punk Rock Girl." Except that my old phone could only play those cheesy casio-keyboard sounding midi files, which more or less reduced one of my favorite Dead Milkmen songs into sounding like some sort of polka theme music for a mario brothers type video game.

The rest of the phone worked great, but as I found more and more people getting phones that played songs, I found myself stuck helplessly in a sense of phone envy. That is until the day that the druids over at Cingular sent me a message saying that I could upgrade my phone for free. That's when I picked up this new phone I have - complete with real song ringtone ability.

I jumped on the Cingular site and grabbed the first couple of ringtones that I liked. There were no real music versions of "Punk Rock Girl" to be found, but a quick search did turn up a few choice Ramones tunes to choose from. Eventually I settled on an old fave, "Rock and Roll High School" -- and went on my merry way.
Except for one thing...
The sound quality on the mp3 was horrible. Instead of the Ramones sounding off whenever a call came through what I'd get would be this muddled wash of overboosted treble and white noise that would only sort of suggest the Ramones to anyone who actually knew the song beforehand.
And really, what good is that?
So today during a stretch of free time before my dentist's appointment I set out on a mission to find a ringtone that I not only wanted, but could live with as well.

And after much searching, I'm happy to say that I've finally found it:
Living Colour's "Cult of Personality"
[Listening to: Deadsy, "Better Than You Know"]

Comments