Garageland

Something that promises to make this new job interesting is the way that it continually seems to want to intersect with my outside life.

For example -- normally I'm the type of person who likes to leave a job at my desk when I go home. I mean, sometimes it's unavoidable -- but given the choice I'd much prefer to have a job finance my lifestyle rather than dictate it.
But like I said before, this place is kinda different.
They told me that I was hired because of my previous experience, my enthusiasm during the interviews, and the prospect of the improvements I could bring to the team. But the simple face is that I was recruited for something completely different.
Music.
I first heard about this job from a dear friend of mine. He's a poet/musician who lives a secret double life as a database administrator during the day. While we were talking a while back about projects we wanted to work on together during the next year, he mentioned that the "company band" was in desperate need of a guitar player. He even referenced my prowess in the referral letter he sent to my future bosses before they hired me.

Of course, the job I'm doing has nothing to do with scales or chords, so in my interviews and stuff it was treated sort of like a sidenote, but now that I'm here the question has come back up a couple of times. It seems every Wednesday after work a couple of the guys from around the building get together at the loading dock and jam for a few hours. And while that's not really too weird to think about (it's not like that sort of thing probably doesn't happen in other places) the strange thing about this session is that apparently the roster goes all over the corporate ladder.

I mean most jam sessions I've ever been a part of consisted of people who were looking for a way to escape the drudgery of their day jobs. But with this thing apparently the odds are pretty good that you'll be trading riffs with the CEO.
Which is kinda weird when you think about it.
Or maybe it isn't -- I don't know. It's like this place is so different than everything I've ever been a part of before that I'm continually surprised by how sort of weirded out I get by these things. Who knows, maybe I'll get to a point where everything will become more comfortable (after all, it's still only my second week), but it's kinda strange how with so many radical changes all around me, it's almost like I'm resisting them a bit just because they're unfamiliar.
Either that, or I'm just not used to
getting jam requests through Outlook.
[Listening to: Frank Zappa, "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"]

Comments