Gunshot Glitter

I remember the first time I heard Jeff Buckley. I was sitting in the car waiting to pick up my ex-wife home from a job (this was back when we were still together). She was on temp assignment as a legal secretary, helping them catch up on some project or another. We only had the one car, so after I dropped her off to work for the day I would drive it to my job and then come pick her up when the day was done.

While I was waiting for her to come out so we could go home I killed time flipping channels on the car stereo. I ended up listening to the local college radio station, when they played this incredible song I had never heard before.

This was before cel phones were everywhere -- so I wrote down as many of the lyrics as I could on the back of an envelope, and when we finally got home I called the station asking who the artist was. The DJ who played the song had left long before I got home, so the person I was actually talking to didn't immediately know what I was talking about.

I'd only heard the song once, but eventually I found myself singing as much of it as I could remember into the phone until the person on the other end of the line figured out what I was talking about.
Almost as funny as the way I discovered Jill Scott.
[Listening to: Jeff Buckley, "Everybody Here Wants You"]

Comments