Nejimaki-Dori Kuronikuru

"I wonder," I said. "What can you understand in ten minutes?"
Ten minutes may be longer than you think," she said.
The other day I was tooling around with my phone, just sorta killing time while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing, when I unexpectedly came across a picture of you.

Not that I didn't know it was there. It's just that I wasn't expecting to see it at that moment.

I was scrolling through some jack-o-lantern photos I'd taken the other night, looking for a good one. I had come up with an idea the night before -- something from the experience I thought I could turn into a story, and my mind was busy exploring those ideas when the image appeared on the screen.

It's blurry. Out of focus. Almost like it was taken by accident. It's the kind of cel phone picture most people delete so that they could take another one. It's the kind of photo most people would delete so that they could take a better one.

But I keep it.
It's a picture of us together.
And sitting there alone that morning, with only the sound of the coffee brewing in the kitchen to keep me company, it dawned upon me that it's probably the only picture of us that I really have.

Maybe this won't make sense, but we never really needed photographs together.
Until now.
I miss you. I miss you so very, very much. I know you're off doing amazing things. But I wish you were here, with me,
in our blurry little photograph.
[Listening to: Taproot, "Facepeeler"]

Comments