An Open Letter to the CRX Nation

I'm a pretty easy-going guy when it comes to accepting differences in people. What works for some isn't going to work for others, and that's fine. Far too many problems in this world start when one person decides that their way of looking at things is the only possible solution -- and then condemns anyone who thinks differently without first understanding why.

So it's with a careful tongue that I speak to you here, because what I'm about to say could easily be construed as me trying to tell you how I think you should live your life, and really -- nothing could be further from the truth. The choices you make are yours to decide, and even if they aren't the way I would do things that doesn't give me the right to deny you that power.

It's just that I've reached a point where I feel like my opinion needs to be heard. Not because I know everything, not because I'm always right (because I'm not), but because what I'm about to say to you comes from an individual perspective outside of your own. I offer this thought to you as something to consider, perhaps evaluate and compare to your own perspectives, in the hope that after taking some time to think about it, you'll understand not only the meaning that I'm trying to convey, but also the spirit in which I'm offering it.
So with all that in mind -- here's the thing:
I don't think if the opportunity ever presented itself that Bob Marley would actualy want to smoke pot with you.
Really now, enough is enough. Bob Marley was a lot of things -- songwriter, activist, father, survivor, hero, icon; but the more you push this issue the more I fear those thoughts are in danger of becoming more and more lost every time one of you losers puts a bumper sticker on your car telling me it's "4:20 somewhere."

This is a man who at times risked his own life to promote messages of peace, love, and equality. Besides working to calm political tensions in his native Jamaica, he was one of the most visible and stringent supporters of independence efforts across Africa in the 60's and late 70's. His faith in his religious beliefs was so pronounced that he is considered by many to be a prophet of Rastafarianism. In fact, his unwavering adherence to the tenants of his faith may have even played a role in accelerating his own demise.
And ok, yeah -- he smoked a lot of weed too.
But every time I see a sticker on the back of a car featuring Marley mid-toke in front of some psychedelic tie dyed background and whatever slogan it is this time written in that wretchedly overplayed 60's hippie font, it's like you're trying to tell me that this was all he was ever really about.

The fact of the matter is that cannabis is considered a sacred sacrament in the Rastafarian faith, and if there's anything we know for sure about Bob Marley it was just how devoted he was to his religion. Not that I'm sure he didn't enjoy it for it's own sake -- but it wasn't the only thing he stood for, understand?

Taking this one facet of his lifestyle and creating this entire marketing persona around it makes about as much sense as telling people they should convert to Catholicism based solely on the fact that they give out free wine.

I'm not saying don't smoke pot. If that's what you're into, then by all means knock yourself out. I've said it many times -- just because I don't do it doesn't mean I have a problem with the habit itself. I don't even really have that much of a problem with some of the other seemingly disingenuous facets that seem to follow along with the lifestyle. So go ahead and grow your smelly white-kid dreads, wear all the red, black, and green woven hats you want -- because really, despite the fact that these things have origins in a country you couldn't possibly have been born in -- they've been largely co-opted (at least in image) into being almost trademark accents of stoner culture. Which is fine (annoying perhaps, but it's not like I can't claim to have never played in a drum circle or two over the course of my life).

I'm not even saying not to celebrate Bob Marley. The man wrote some amazing songs. But more than that he was an incredibly positive person with dedicated beliefs who tackled issues and causes far beyond what anyone might have ever expected of him -- and yet he always wore that mantle with pride and grace. By all means, take the time to listen, appreciate, and enjoy his music to the fullest

But for god's sake, leave the man alone.
Just because you share a habit doesn't mean he deserves to be turned into Ronald McDonald.
I swear it's like you think he's your best bro or something. Like if Bob Marley was alive today -- in a world filled with hate, terror, and war (not to mention untold tragedies going on in Rwanda and other parts of the African continent that was so close to his heart) he would really have time for you. Besides, the guy had like 13 kids -- do you really think come Friday night he's gonna stand in front of them and say
"Sorry Imani, Sharon, Ziggy, Stephen, Robbie, Rohan, Karen, Stephanie, Julian, Ky-Mani, Belnavis, Damian, and Makeda -- I know you'd probably love it if I could stay around here to give you guidance and be a part of your lives, but it's almost time for South Park, and I kinda promised Topher and Korndog I'd do some bong hits with them tonight."
I mean lets face it -- it's too late for Che Guevara. Once they start selling your face on a t-shirt at Target, it doesn't really matter what you stood for. But there's still time for Bob. Every year at a thousand college campuses across the country kids shake off whatever shackles they believe they have, go to the student union, buy a copy of Legend and spend the next month or so pretending to like patchouli. It's a rite of passage. But even so -- what it really offers is a chance for generation after generation to get exposed to some truly great music. Music that transcends whatever thoughts of rebellion might have brought you to it.

But you've gotta stop buying bongs shaped like his head, or with a picture of him fastened to the side, ok? That's really a step too far. That's taking it from being two things that might go well together to being one idea that only exists for the sake of another - and if that's all he is to you, then you really need to rethink your whole outlook.

The real problem with all of this though is that Bob Marley is unable to speak for himself on these matters. Someone out there is driving this whole "licensing away his image for income" scheme, and while they may have once been married to the guy, it isn't the dude himself.

What we really need is for something drastic to happen. For the message to be spelled out loud and clear in a way that no one could possibly misunderstand. What we need more than ever is Zombie Marley.

I swear to god I would give every dime I could ever make in this life if I could just once see his half-decayed corpse shuffle into the crowds at Bonnaroo or Coachella and shout
"What the hell are you people listening to, this sucks!!"
[Listening to: Peter Tosh, "Steppin' Razor"]

Comments