Luminous Beings Are We

When a moment like this happens, it's hard not to feel old.
Earlier today I took my son out to see the new Ninja Turtles movie (eh, I've seen worse). We bought the ticket early, and had some time to kill -- so we went to a nearby restaurant for a quick lunch before the flick. So we're sitting there waiting on our food when a familiar looking woman walks up to the table all excited and says "Mr. Luft!?"

It turns out to be one of my former adult students from back in the day when I taught at ACT. She's doing well, and has actually embarked on a career as an english teacher at a local high-school. It was really nice to have her offer me some credit for her success, but as I told her many times in the past -- she was the one who did all the real work.

We said our goodbyes, ate our lunch, and headed off to the film. Two hours of red twizzlers, stale popcorn, and computer animated ninja action later, we're getting ready to leave when two teenagers come up to me and say "Mr. Luft!?"

Turns out they're both former students of mine from one of my first years at the middle school here in town I used to teach at. They're both doing well, going to high school here in town -- where one of them is taking an english class that just happens to be taught by...

When nine hundred years old you reach -- look as good, you will not.
[Listening to: Iggy Pop, "Skull Ring"]

Comments