This Would Be a Perfect Time to Write a Blog Entry

When I finally decided to start writing here again, I was emotionally charged. I was feeling a certain way, and I opened the page and let it run. The emotion mixed with the process and then something took shape.

It's my favorite preferred way to write.

In fact, that has always been one of my favorite parts about the whole blogging thing. Essentially, I had this available platform/website/software that I set up in a way that I liked -- that I could access whenever I felt the urge and would not have to re-configure or initialize. I could just click once or twice, get to a blank page and just rage.

The spiral notebook, digitized.

Writing teachers, inspirational texts, interviews with published authors -- there's a lot of talk about having a place to write. Making time to write, and maintaining that process. Every day at whatever hour you sit down in your set spot and take your set time to work on your craft. They talk about that when it comes to practicing music, as well.

And it sounds pretty logical -- build a routine and then execute it. Develop your ability to punch through blocks or other obstacles through repetition. Work the muscle. Develop your instrument.

Verb the adjective noun.

But it doesn't always work like that. Or, I don't work like that. Actually it's likely most correct to say that it could probably work like that if I'd published a successful enough first novel to get me the kind of advance that would enable me to not have to be here in this office every day, in a job that's unpredictably busy -- the kind where I can't always predict when I'll have enough of an open space between tasks and responsibilities to work on this sort of thing.

Book Idea: So You've Decided to Write a Blog While You're Supposed to Be Working. 

Anyways.. where was I?

Ah, right. So when I finally decided to start writing here again, I was emotionally charged. I was feeling a certain way, and I opened the page and let it run. The emotion mixed with the process and then something took shape. And it wasn't a perfect something, but that was ok -- because I would be returning to it in a day or so to try again.

After all, it's been a little while since I have written stuff on a regular basis and like anything else you have to shake off the rust a bit, right?

But then life happened, as it does -- and I didn't return in a day or two. Work got busy. I shifted my priorities to the squeakier wheel. And so now that I'm back, it's weird to feel this sense of slowed momentum. I mean, I had sort of set the table with the initial entry -- now it was just time to put some food on the plates. I mean, it's not like I had to start all the way over again.

Aw crap, the phone's ringing.

  ..Back later.


[Now Playing:  Allan Holdsworth "Metal Fatigue" ]

Comments

polkatronixx said…
Well, here we are on the 10th of May and I randomly decided to check your blog. I don't know why I do it - I used to check regularly. But there were new posts regularly. Then the posts stopped...or so I thought. You'd tease me - go away for months at a time and then randomly pop up with a flurry of posts. So maybe that's why I kept checking. In fact, I had deleted you from my favourites, because I finally decided that it was over. No more Sleep Dirt. But this weekend I had to restore my computer - and the last back up was over a year ago. So voila! I have Sleep Dirt on my favourites bar and I almost reflexively clicked on it this morning. And what do you know...two new posts.

I am very glad to see you're back. And I can live with the weeks between posts. But I love reading your blog, so this wasa great way to start my day.

(This is Adam W, by the way - I realised after signing in that my email address will show, rather than my name).