I Can Teach You, But I'll Have to Charge

The other night I was just hanging out at home, wasting time on the web when I realized I was kinda thirsty. So I got up from the couch and headed into the kitchen to go get something. Of course it only took a second after opening the fridge door to realize that I really didn't have that much to choose from at all.
Well, nothing non-alcoholic at least.
It had been one of those lazy weekends where the times it wasn't pouring down rain it was unbelievably hot and muggy out as all the water on the ground evaporated. I had spent a good part of the morning surfing at the beach, but once the weather started to get hairy and I started to see lightning strikes it just became easier to just go back home and stay inside. I spent most of the day catching up on Entourage DVD's and playing guitar. But it was so hot out that I guess I didn't notice how many times I went back to the fridge to refill my cup.

Suddenly here I am at eleven o'clock on a Sunday night with a cupboard that's essentially bare. Of course there's a bunch of beer in fridge and jäger, vodka, tequila, and rum in the freezer -- but I really didn't have of anything to mix the booze with and strange as it might sounds, sometimes you just don't want a beer.

What I really wanted was like some orange juice. Just something sweet to cool me off before I headed off to bed. I thought for a moment about heading out to a store to get something, but it was late on a Sunday night, I wasn't feeling particularly motivated to get put together even enough to go out of the house. Plus my paycheck hadn't really posted to my account yet -- so short of heading out and writing a Lebowski check I didn't really have a lot of options.
Problem is, I'm still thirsty.
I suppose a normal person might have just have made a glass of ice water or something, but it was one of those specific cravings where I didn't know exactly what wanted, but I was absolutely clear on what I didn't. I don't know -- do you ever get like that? One of those times where you're driving around hungry in an area crammed with restaurants, but no matter how many signs or menus you look at, you can't find anything to eat?

Frustrated, I started to look around the cabinets. I'm not really sure what I was hoping to find -- but the truth was that I was feeling too lazy to go out and get something yet was still determined (and thirsty) enough to be open to all sorts of alternate improvised options.
Which is when I opened up the freezer and caught sight of a
long-forgotten carton of Oreo cookie ice cream near the back.
I'm not much of an ice cream guy. I like it well enough, and sometimes there's nothing better than having a fresh cone on a hot day, but in general when you live alone and make dinners for one you don't often take the time to prepare dessert. In fact while I was looking at it I kinda had a hard time remembering why I actually bought it (or when for that matter -- can ice cream go bad if you keep it in the freezer too long?)
When suddenly it hit me:
Ice Cream. Cold. Milk.
..Oh hell yeah.
Within minutes I was back on the couch, smiling to myself and watching late night TV while sipping on a homemade Oreo cookie ice cream cocktail. It had only taken a few seconds to spoon out a bunch into my blender and then grind it down to a liquid, and it made a hell of a mess -- but it was soooo worth it.
And yes, I did drink it out of a measuring cup.
[Listening to:    Ram Jam"Black Betty" ]

Comments