Dr. McBastard

So I joined a gym recently, which I'm pretty jazzed about. It's a local place close to where I work that was built inside the renovated remains of an old Food Lion -- which is kind of an interesting thought, because if there's anywhere in the world where getting healthier was never a concern, it was the lion.

But it's a gym now, complete with all the bells and whistles -- including a series of free visits with their personal trainers and two consultations with the in-house chiropractor. Of course the whole aim is for you to shell out more money for regular visits and treatments, but it's kinda nice that even if they are free visits most of the people involved do their best not to make you feel like they're not making any money off it.

The chiropractor especially has been pretty cool -- even if everything he's telling me are basically technical-language filled euphamisms for "you're fat and you eat garbage."

One of the first things he had me do was keep a food diary. Basically I was supposed to write down everything I ate for a couple of days so he could get an idea of where my problems were (when my dad heard about it his response was: "Everything you eat -- I hope you asked for more than one page!").

So I started writing things down, but like a lot of homework assignments in my life I kinda got away from it and ended up filling it out sort of at the last moment. I tried to be honest filling it out, but even I have to admit the version I gave to him this afternoon was largely um, ..abridged.

It didn't matter though, because even with the things I left out, the problems were still pretty clear for him to find. I'm skipping too many meals during the day, not drinking enough water, and eating too late at night. But then he told me something I wasn't ready to hear at all.
"Oh yeah, and you probably need to cut down on all this orange juice you're drinking, too."
I tried to look like I was interested in what he was saying, but inside I was going nuts. Cut out orange juice? I don't care if it's where all the sugar in my diet appears to be coming from, do you have any idea just how much of this stuff (with and without vodka) I usually have in a day? I'm basically addicted to the stuff -- and have been for a long, long time.
Besides, what's the worst that could happen?
[Listening to: Deftones, "Birthmark"]

Comments